Thursday, February 9, 2017

I see you lookin... Part 1

Job 31:1 Msg
I made a solemn pact with myself never to undress a girl with my eyes.

Do you know how many times I've heard the statement, "there's nothing wrong with looking"?   Neither do I LOL...but I've heard it from men and women, various ages, single and married.  And for those who are married or in a committed relationship, I think that this is an area that often gets avoided in conversations.  It can be uncomfortable to admit if you're looking and can be embarrassing and/or hurtful for the one who has witnessed it.  "So what's the big deal?" you say "I'm not actually doing anything" and besides that, your spouse knows that you love them.   Both may be completely true, so let me challenge you to see deeper than the surface.  Just think about it...

Intentionally looking:
An attractive girl walks in the gym (a lot of my examples come from the gym LOL). You watch her come up the stairs, walk to the stretching area and follow her periodically through her workout. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?  Now, I won't get into details, but I have heard guys talk and have talked to my husband about this, so I already know that your thoughts have gone tilt.

Ladies, we're not excluded from this conversation...that well-dressed man that is just your type, walks into the coffee shop. He opens the door for an older lady and smiles at the cashier...you thinkin "oooh girl, he cute, educated and got manners"  Now how we jump to the conclusion that he's educated, I have no idea, but your mind has now taken you off into a fantasy.

Both scenarios seem innocent on the surface because there was no following action.  All you actually did, was look.  You had no communication with these people and your thoughts were completely private and therefore, no harm. no foul.  But did you know that if we look at someone with lustful thoughts, God looks at it as though we have cheated? (Matthew 5:28)  Why?  Because our thoughts are powerful!
My pastor taught on this subject the other week and he found that certain chemicals are released in the brain, when we have inappropriate thoughts, that indicate we've gotten pleasure from what we have just experienced.

Dang Lord, is it that deep?  YES!  I've spoken in previous posts about the importance of our thought life and how it is our job to keep them in check.  How can you do that, when you let your eyes feast on any and everything that is placed before them?

My challenge to you for the next few days is to become more aware of what and who you're looking at and meditating on. When you find yourself looking and thinking wrong thoughts (only you and God know), say the scriptures above, out loud. (I make it personal by saying, I won't look upon a man etc)  Ask the Lord to show you where you can improve in this area and be willing to do what it takes in order to do so.

Coming up Next...I'm going to recruit my husband to talk about bouncing those eyes :)



No comments:

Post a Comment