Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Personal Record: Chest

Today I hit a PR

I benched 95#, 12 times!!  So you say "what's the big deal?"  Only that I have been desperately trying to rep 95# for almost 6 months...maybe longer.  Yep, 85 was where I resided for what seemed like an eternity.  I wouldn't look forward to chest day partly because I knew bench press would be first.  Some days I would get up to 95 but it wouldn't last, I may have a good day but the next chest day would be like I never upped the weight.  I struggled mentally with every chest day, as it seemed that I was never making any lasting progress.

Thankfully, my husband kept pushing me to stick with it.  I would say

"is chest all that important in figure competitions?" 

He would answer with a yes-it's-all-about-symmetry-and-balance, answer

"OK well if it's important, it's not as important as legs and back, right?"

"Remember when you work chest, you're also incorporating other muscles that will show in competition, like shoulders and triceps"

  I always wanted to reason my way out of working chest but truth be told, I don't enjoy it because it's HARD and it's tough to see noticeable changes from it.  But then again, I didn't enjoy working legs for a long while, for the same reason and I am now a proud owner of rump, with some quads on the side!  :)

What am I saying?  Don't allow yourself to give up on something that's beneficial just because your feelings tell you that you're uncomfortable; or worse, because you don't SEE the results.  What's our motto?!  We walk by faith and not by sight.  Whip your body into shape...1 Corinthians 9:27 talks about disciplining your body and making it your slave.  If you can do that, day after day, workout after workout, you'll find yourself stronger and better.  You may notice changes in some places quicker than others but remember, who do you have to compare yourself to, but yourself?

Therefore, embrace the process and keep moving forward.  If we are doing what we know to do, walking in the light that we have; don't you think God is going to put some super on our natural?  Or in the very least, correct us in the areas that we need to adjust?  Of course He will!  But remember, gas never did any good in a parked car.

Selah

Remember, Lift On!
-HisMillenialHousewife

Philippians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment