Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Outsider

From Halloween to elections; Night outs to music selections...I have, and will always be an outsider.

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb.  Before you were born I set you apart..."
Jeremiah 1:5 NLT

My life has been one of a misfit...I never quite fit in.  Don't get me wrong, I have friends and I'm not a exactly a loner but I always found myself wanting to be someone other than who I am.  Who am I?  I am a Christian who has Holy Spirit inside me, constantly challenging me to come up to His standards and perspective.  When you have that constant nudging and knowing, it's hard to do wrong...but I found a way, even if it meant doing it with my stomach in knots.  I've tried alcohol, relationships, pledging and seeking"professional" jobs, all of which had me more confused than when I started.  I did what everyone else was doing because I wanted to be like everyone else...but I'm not everyone else, and eventually I woke up.

"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think..."
Romans 12:1 NLT

Over the years, I have become more serious about my Christianity and as a result, other things fell by the wayside.  Alcohol was the first to go, then sexual sin and the music, then my credit cards.  The music cut me off cold turkey from the world because I no longer could go out and blend in...I didn't know the songs playing and as I began to zone in on the words I quickly became disgusted.  I had changed.

I'm now the person that has "kingdom music" bumping during my workouts and closes her eyes when there's sex in the movie..."what a square" is what the enemy will sometimes pop in my head when I think about what my husband and I do for fun: workout, superhero movies, eat, and church LOL (it even makes me laugh typing it) But truth be told, I'm happier than I've ever been because I'm starting to accept what it truly means to be set apart...who I am.

Some of you may be thinking, "I'm a Christian and I still go out or listen to what I want to listen to and have an office job".  Great, we're all set apart for different purposes so you have to follow your own convictions.  I believe the Lord has shown me things to incorporate in and reject out of my life because I asked; I gave Him permission to challenge me.  There are things that God has revealed to others that I haven't had the revelation of yet...that's great too because we serve a merciful and loving God who requires us only to live up to what we've already attained. Phillippians 3:15-16  It's when you can truthfully answer the question below that will prep you for growth.

Does your lifestyle reflect your current spiritual knowledge?

Selah
-His Millennial Housewife



4 comments:

  1. Shanae!! First, your material is great and I love the blog. Secondly, I can absolutely relate to every area you expounded on. Although I have many friends, some understand and accept my convictions and others no longer press me. I've ALWAYS BEEN AN OUTSIDER and with every decision and with more Gidly wisdom, I'm soo good with it. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Jasmine! It's actually really nice to see that although we are not always the majority, we are not alone :) Keep growing.

      Delete
  2. My goodness! I thank God for you! The enemy has a way of trying to make you feel like your the only person...besides my Husband and my church family living in Holiness according to Gods Word. This time of year because of my boys I always get invited to kids Halloween Parties. When I decline because we don't celebrate Halloween I get asked. What religion are you? When I reply Christian they look at me like God doesn't require that. I appreciate what you mean by spiritual convictions and levels of Revelation. To much is given, much is required. It's nice to see your words. But I must say I have a resolve to be a worshipper of the One true King. So if I had to serve him by myself I was chose Him everyday and 5 times on Sunday! I feel you on that worship music. I can get in a full crying worship right on 696! Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Yes girl, you have to get to a point where you just don't care. With the way things are now, I've had to just take a stand on certain things and looks like, you have too! I'm glad to know you are my sister in Christ! Thanks for the love :)

      Delete